Monday, July 12, 2010

Striking a balance

Balancing Rocks in Matopos National Park, Zimbabwe, by Susan Adams
Okay, writer-friends... how do you do it? How do you strike a balance between being a parent (if you are one), working, and finding the energy, desire, and inspiration to do the writing that makes you whole?

Why do I ask? Snuggle Monkey was sick all last week. August is officially our vacation time, so I have designated July as writing time. Except that doesn't happen when the kids are at home. I don't try to write with them here, but sometimes little things pop into my head and I want to be sure I'll remember them later... when things are quiet.

Unfortunately, my boys have the unerring ability to sense the exact moment when I need two minutes of peace and quiet to get an idea down. They pounce (quite literally), and the ideas fly out of my head. It is, to put it mildly, frustrating.

So... I'm wondering how others deal with such problems. I know that writers write (I am, I really am!). But is there any way to make the experience less... maddening?

How do you strike a balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment