Friday, April 30, 2010

Bidding National Poetry Month adieu

Today is the last day of National Poetry Month, and I can't bid it adieu without some actual poetry. Here is a reprise from a few weeks ago (which I never actually linked to the Poetry Friday roundup that week).
I Want to Run Away

My children test my patience almost every single day.
Some days it gets so bad, they make me want to run away.
Run off to join the circus, where I'll train the dancing bear.
Or maybe to the city, to sell fancy underwear.
No, retail's not for me, instead I'll travel 'round the world.
Outracing storms and tidal waves with massive sails unfurled.
I'll go on a safari and I'll sleep up in a tree.
I'll fend off greedy pirates, search for treasure in the sea.
I'll climb upon the pyramids, go see the Taj Mahal,
commune with some orangutans and walk on China's wall.
I'll ride a Russian rocket, yes, I'll take it straight to Mars,
then further out to space to see Orion's eighty stars.
I'll travel 'round the universe, but come home when I'm tired
from all of the adventures that my children have inspired.
Copyright © 2010 Alison Pearce Stevens

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is hosted by Mary Ann Scheuer at  Great Kid Books.

3 comments: