Friday, October 7, 2011

What's in a name?

My writing tends to go in stages. I'll work for two months on a novel, then my mental pendulum swings back over to the non-fiction side and I'll crank out several magazine articles and a picture book or two. Then it swings back to the fiction side for edits... back to non-fiction... You see where this is going.

Lately, I've been in a non-fiction phase. I think this is probably because I'm querying my novel, and I have an editor waiting for a rewrite on a non-fiction story (my critique group has it right now). So I'm filling the time with fun stuff for magazines.

One of the things I love about writing for kids' mags is that they're often looking for fun stories about animals. One of the critters I've written about recently is this guy:

source

Pretty cute, isn't it? It goes by many names, including fat dormouse, edible dormouse, and Siebenschläfer (seven sleeper).

Now, without googling it, why do you think it has those names?

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen a dormouse except at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, so it was exciting for me to discover these little critters really exist! I suppose the names come from a sleepy, couch- potato sort of existence--easy to catch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't schlafer mean sleep or bedrooms or something? Seven sleeps?

    Honestly, I do not know! Oh, wait, what Clara said. Yes. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because it makes a tasty treat? Just guessing here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does look like a tastey treat for an eagle or fox. Cute little bugger.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a seven hour a night minimum sleeper, I'm sure! He is cute!

    ReplyDelete