Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Staycation writing schedule

We are now three days into our three-week staycation: all the family time of a vacation without actually going anywhere. I'm actually excited about it, but I was making great progress with my WIP last week, and I've been worried that I'll lose my momentum.

So I decided to implement a staycation writing schedule. This involves getting up at 5:30 am, drinking excessive amounts of coffee, and writing as much as I can until the kids wake up.

Sounds like a brilliant idea, right? This is how my mornings have been going so far...

Alarm: beep-beep  beep-beep  beep-beep

Me: *reaches out to find watch that functions as my alarm*

Alarm: beep-beep  beep-beep  beep-beep

Beloved Husband: *shoves head under pillow*

Me: *knocks watch off of nightstand*

Alarm: beep-beep  beep-beep  beep-beep

Me: *curses and fishes around next to bed for the watch*

BH: *from under pillow* Turn it OFF!

Alarm: *silent*

Me: *still searching for the watch* *grateful it stops beeping after one minute*

BH: *mumbles something unintelligible*

Me: I'll just lie here for another minute or two.

Snuggle Monkey: Wake up, Mama!

Me: *notices daylight* *looks at clock* *groans*


Okay, so the idea was good, but the execution needs a bit of work.

How do you find time to write?

3 comments:

  1. Well, it's not in the mornings. That's for sure. Mine is after kids go to bed. And since I'm not working right now, I'll "write" (among other things) from 10P-2P. But I'm starting to feel the effects. I'm starting to feel like a walking zombie. You know, the feeling of caring for a newborn. Also, I dabble all through the day. For now, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to put writing on hold for a while. But I do it at night; when the house is quiet and nobody will sneak up behind me and ask for things or make comments to distract me. Sunday's are my best writing days. I have all morning to rev up to it - and usually sit up way too late.

    I miss writing on a regular basis. It'll happen again - soon.

    I like your scenario here. Sounds like me. Morning people boggle my mind. Just the thought of 5a on a clock scares me back under the covers. Now that truly would take years of training to work into a regular routine.

    But hey, its the thought that counts, right. You'll find your perfect time.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie and Donna: I get the sense that night is the optimal time for lots of writers, but my brain shuts down around 4 pm. By the time the kids are in bed, I can't do anything that requires real thinking.

    My optimal writing time is from about 9 am to 1 (or 2) pm, but those times are, at the moment, occupied by other things. Maybe I should just give myself a real vacation and pick up the MS when school starts up. :)

    ReplyDelete